Peggy had a scheduled visit with her doctor today. She told her several things that, well, aren't great, but I guess could be worse.
First of all, in her visit to the hospital last week, she actually had 4 contractions (they told us she didn't have any when we were there). And worse than that, they were "real" prelabor contractions. Don't ask me what the difference between that and braxton hicks (false labor) contractions are, but it's not a good thing. Peggy has been having some of these same contractions since last week, which is also not good. However, here we are a full week later, and no baby, so that's good news.
If Peggy has more than 4 of these contractions in an hour, we have been told to go straight back to the hospital. There, they'll do more monitoring, and give her some type of shot to stop the contractions. Call me pessimistic, but I'm guessing we'll be back in the hospital at least once before the baby actually comes. I say this just because the contractions haven't exactly gone away since last monday. She's generally having a couple per day.
She's been told to take it easy...which is turning out to be a hard thing for her. We went from walking a mile every night to her being told to lay around as much as possible. It's been quite a transition for her and us. I have to CONSTANTLY tell her to sit down and offer to get whatever she needed. She's not on bedrest (yet!) luckily, but "restricted activity."
They will do this (give the shot if contractions persist) until week 36 (we're at 29 weeks this week). After that, the doctor is content with letting the baby come whenever he/she is ready.
So, basically we're hoping for at least another 7 weeks. The doctor also said that she could definitely go the full 40 weeks....that some women just "contract." Hopefully she's one of those women and the baby will keep cooking for another 10 weeks.
I did tell the baby tonight that I will give him/her a dollar for each day he/she stays in mommy's belly. Oh, and a $10 bonus for making it the full 40 weeks! Hehe, we'll see if I actually pay up!
So, here's to hoping until at least mid october before our baby arrives! It's starting to feel like it's so close, we're getting anxious (but definitely willing to wait). Even if we do have another 10 weeks, that doesn't seem so far away anymore.
1 comment:
Cook, baby, cook!
I'll be doing my 36 week dance. Maybe we'll bring Charlotte by to provide some late baby dust. Sounds like we need to come over with dinner and a movie anyway to keep Peggy still!
Post a Comment