Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Kitchen Update

EDITED: Please note that I have now posted pictures at the bottom of the post of the sink and cabinets.

The kitchen has taken a bit longer than I thought it would. The original goal was to be done by this saturday. Lets just say that's not going to happen. The floor took far longer than I thought it would. I could have done it more quickly, but it would not have been done right. I take pride in always doing everything "right" on this house, even if it costs more money and time. I have done that since the day we moved in and will continue to. The previous owners did many things on this house that were not "right." I guess I understand why....I could have been almost done with the kitchen if I took the shortcut on the floor.

In a little over a week, we've gone from this:
To this (the subfloor and backerboard is finished):
To this:
And finally....I have such good friends, who are willing to come over on a work night and help me out. This is us cleaning thin-set out with screwdrivers before we could lay the new grout. Studly men hard at work....well, except for Kai (notice the knee board)....haha, just kidding Kai! He was actually the smart one of the group for using a knee board.
All I still need to do is give it a good cleaning with a sponge (to get the rest of the grout cleaned up). Then it still needs to be sealed, which I can do in about three days. After that, the two week ordeal with the floor is done!!!!!!! Yippee!

We took delivery of the new oven and microwave yesterday. Also, I finally got the refrigerator hooked up with water and ice! My dad and I ran the line yesterday to get water to it. Peggy and I are SOOO excited to have this "new" feature.

Yesterday morning, my dad and I worked on getting the electrical ready. I wanted a new outlet put in, which we did. We also had to move the sink light since the old spot would not be centered on the new sink. We moved the outlet for the refrigerator so that it would be hidden behind the fridge. We also still have to move the exhaust vent for the microwave. That's going to be a big project.

Next step is to work on the walls and put in the cabinets. Before that I need to finish up the new drywall installation. And also, I need to get the wall studs moved where the new exhaust fan outlet is going in. I'm considering skipping the walls and moving right on to the cabinets. We just can't live without cabinets and a sink anymore. Even though the walls will be more difficult later, it's a project that can wait a bit. We should have done the walls right after I finished the subfloor, but I just didn't want to. All this means is that we'll have to cover the cabinets with plastic before painting.

Since you made it through this entire post, I'm going to give you an opportunity to have a say in our kitchen design. Peggy and I are having a disagreement over the sink. I want a black "granite composite" sink. I think they're fantastic looking. However, we're getting brown cabinets with a light tan-ish colored countertop. Peggy says that it would look bad to have the brown cabinets with the black sink. I argue that it will look fine since they're separated by the countertop. What do you think? The alternative is a stainless steel sink.

I've put a poll up on the right side of the blog. Please vote, and feel free to leave comments on this post. Here's some pictures of the cabinet and sink.


5 comments:

Nancy said...

I don't know about the composite sink, but I do know that the stainless sink I had was difficult to keep clean and nice looking.

Linda and Matthew said...

Are the cabinets a dark brown wood? If it's wood and not paint, I'd go with the black. I HATE stainless steel sinks. They're so hard to keep clean and pretty.

Unknown said...

um...I'd have to see pictures of the sinks and cabinets so I can get a good feel for colors.

Anna said...

interesting that the stainless steel sink picture isn't posted... hm... :)

David said...

Well, I kind of assumed everyone knew what a stainless steel sink looks like! :-)