Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Explaining a Headache

Sometimes we find things that are very hard to explain to a two year old. Today I had a headache all day. When we got home, I was feeding Noah, when the following conversation took place with Abby.

Abby: "You read me this book, daddy?" (Side note--She now tells us "I can't read the words in the book." Haha, makes me laugh).
Me: "No, I'm feeding Noah right now, and I have a really bad headache."
Abby: "You have a headache?"
Me: "Yeah, it hurts really bad."
Abby: "Where?"
Me: "In my head."
Abby (looking around my head): "Where in your head?"

At this point, I'm kind of confused. What do you say to this?

Me: "On the inside of my head."
Abby (searching my head high and low to find a "traditional" sign of an owie): "Where on the inside?"
Me: "Right in the middle of my head"
Abby (now looking perplexed, looks in my ear): "You have headache in there (pointing to my ear)."
Me: "Haha, yes, inside there."

She then ponders her next move for a minute. She goes and gets her fake salt shaker from her kitchen and brings it over to me.

Abby: "I put salt in your owie? It will feel better."
Me (laughing out loud): "Why would that make it feel better?"
Abby: "Salt on your owie makes it better."
Me: "Haha, ok, you can add salt to my owie."
Abby then pretends to pour salt in my ear.
Abby: "Your headache feel better?"
Me: "Yes, Abby, it feels much better. Thank you, you're very sweet."
Abby: "You're welcome."

1 comment:

Anna said...

What a healer!