Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Dirt Pile

We got 6 tandem dump truck loads of dirt delivered from a local pool installer.  We're putting it in the back of the yard to build it up a little bit.  This will insulate us a bit from the road noise and make the backyard more usable.  The only problem is that we couldn't get the truck back there to dump it.  Therefore we had to have them dump it in the side yard and I have to move it back by wheelbarrow.  It's probably about 60-70 yards worth.

The kids love the dirt:

You can only see two of the six loads in this picture:

The dirt pile has kept them (especially Abby) entertained for more than a few hours.


It's hard to get an idea of scale, but this pile is BIG.

And the work begins.

First wheelbarrow of many.  I have estimated it will take around 450-500 wheelbarrow loads.  Each wheelbarrow has an average of 34 shovels of dirt.  Yes, I have done all the math....a man has a lot of time to think shoveling that much dirt.  That's about 16,000 shovel-fulls of dirt.







I'm currently about 2/3 finished.  I've basically cut a huge path through the middle and one side.  There's only about 1.5 of the original piles left.  I'm waiting for warmer weather to finish.  Here's what it looks like today:

No comments: