Monday, December 28, 2009

Abby's First Trip to the Science Center!

Since Abby was feeling so much better last saturday, we finally got her out of the house. Abby had never been to the Science Center before, so we decided to take her there.

She was in heaven. I'm not sure if it's because she hadn't been out of the house for three days or if she's in love with science like her daddy, but she sure had a good time. It's so nice that she can walk with us in public places instead of having to drag a stroller around or carry her everywhere. She was just running from exhibit to exhibit. Here's some of the highlights:

- I'm quite afraid of the plexiglass floor that is above the highway (if you're not familiar with this, you need to visit the St. Louis Science Center sometime). But, because I'm weird, I always force myself to at least walk over one of the pieces of glass. Occasionally I even jump on it. I guess it's my weird way of proving to myself that I'm not actually afraid of it. Anyways, I tried to get Abby to walk on it with me....no way! She wouldn't go anywhere near the plexiglass....smart girl.

- Then we got to the architectural part. She loved building the Arch. They even have a new "mini" arch that is smaller than the older two they had. It was a group effort.
The best part of course is knocking it over:


- After that, it was on to the huge marble roll thing in the main lobby. She was pretty impressed.

- Then we headed down to see the dinosaurs. We were pretty worried that she would freak out. But, she was actually very happy to see T-Rex. Below is one of the next exhibits they had. I think she was pretending she was a dinosaur. Rarrrrr.....
- Our next stop was the earthquake machine. Again, we thought she'd freak out, but she actually thought it was pretty cool. She even wanted to go again.
- We then headed upstairs to the optical illusions section. This video makes me laugh....A LOT! There was an optical illusion of a spring. You basically look into this thing and are looking at a curved mirror which has a spring projected on it. But, it looks like the spring is right in front of you. Clearly, Abby was fooled. Enjoy....


We saw plenty more, and then headed out for a late lunch at Applebee's. Overall, it was a great Saturday.

No comments: