Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Little Mermaid

I took Abby to see the theater performance of "The Little Mermaid." Abby is a huge fan of Ariel and Flounder I had high hopes for the show. She knows most of the songs from the movie and loves to dress up like Princess Ariel.
The Muny put on the musical. For those of you who don't know what it is. It's an outdoor theater that seats almost 10,000 people. They usually put on 6 or 7 musicals a year each for one week. The rehearse for about three weeks before the show starts. And while they are rehearsing during the day another show is performing every night. It's crazy.
So back to our show. Abby had decided we needed to invite Auntie Nicole "Cole" and Jane.
This is Jane, Abby and Nicole at intermission, just a little sweaty.

Both women agreed to go with us, little did they know we had picked the hottest day of the year to attend the muny.
First let me say the show was amazing. We had great seats and the cast was spectacular. I was very fond of Ursela (played by a man) he had great timing. Abby tells me her favorite was King Titan and Ariel. She has been swimming around like a fish all week.
Now let me tell you with a heat index of 112, sitting with a 2 year old on my lap wasn't the most fun. But the show kept Abby's attention and we stayed for the whole thing.
Abby's pal Charlotte was also at the show so we met up at intermission.

This is the first show she has sat through the whole thing. I had expected we would be out of there at intermission but when I asked her if she was ready to go she said "they didn't kiss yet" so we stayed.
Enjoying her lollipop at intermission, thanks Charlotte.

By the time we got to the car it was almost 11p, well past Abby's 8pm bedtime. She rarely falls asleep in the car and told me a story about the moon.
"mama, I need to get the moon and bring it home. I plant it in my fish tank, and I eat it. Because its made of cheese" (yes we told her the moon was made of cheese) "I need to find his mommy and daddy so I can meet them"
This story took about 10minutes and then she just rambled on about the moon the rest of the ride home, it was almost a full moon. All in all a good first experience at the theater.

1 comment:

Colleen Bohlinger said...

It sounds like a magical night. Glad to know that she enjoyed it so much.