Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Garden Update

The garden is coming along quite nicely. My masters classes and projects around the house have kept me very busy in my summer "off."

This is our garden. Notice that the beans have grown up to the roof! They would still be going if I didn't cut off the vines. We have gotten one good crop of peas and one good crop of beans so far. It doesn't look like much from far away, but its pretty cramped in there. We should get some good harvests in the next couple months. I want to double the size of the garden next year!

We have about 20 or so tomatoes. These three are the biggest. Hopefully we should have some ready to pick in the next couple weeks!

This is the brocolli that we had very high hopes for. Unfortunately something seems to be eating it. I think it will survive though.

This is the new garden I spent the last few days constructing. It's hard work getting those darn blocks level! But we're both very happy with it. Notice the mound to the left of the plants. I planted some pumpkin seeds there yesterday.

This is one of our two strawberry plants. They're sending out runners all over the place. Hopefully we should have a good crop next year!

This was our first harvest of peas. We cooked them with chicken and rice for a nice dinner:

Overall, our garden has been a pretty good success thus far this season. I have learned a lot that I will be able to use next year. I hope our baby enjoys being outside and in the garden!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The strawberry bed looks really nice! What's the black thing at the back / how did you keep the dirt from going through the fence?

Anonymous said...

The black thing is some of that landscaping plastic stuff. That's what's keeping the dirt in the garden instead of going through the fence. It's only built up a few inches there.