Sunday, October 3, 2010

Oh the fire alarm....

Tuesday of last week, Abby's school had a fire drill.

So, I showed up to pick her up on tuesday, and she was crying. Weird, I thought. She was just getting to the point where she was happy at dropoff (moving to 5 days a week was an adjustment for us all). So, I asked what happened.

She apparently freaked out when the fire alarm went off. The rest of the day she was crying and generally upset. After I picked her up, she calmed down, but was still very upset about the ordeal.

When I asked her about what she did that day on the car ride home, she told me: "fire, outside." When I asked why, she said "fire, crying." That's all she talked about that night.

The next couple of days, Peggy dropped her off, and she freaked out each time. She just kept screaming about the "fire drill. Outside. Crying!" If it wasn't so sad, it would've actually been kinda funny.

Then came friday. Peggy dropped her off, and she screamed about the fire again. Then we got a phone call that she wouldn't come out of her cubby hole. Each child has a large cubby-type hole where they can hang their coat, bag, etc. Well, Abby spent several hours in hers and wouldn't come out. She refused to participate in any activities. She just kept saying "night-night, fire, outside, loud!" Poor kid. She just doesn't like loud noises!

Well, neither of us could leave work, so we left her there. Apparently after lunch, she calmed down and was happier. Hopefully she'll be better next week.

Stupid fire drills. She still talks about it.

No comments: