Friday, October 28, 2011

The Greatest Game

I just witnessed the greatest baseball game I've ever seen.  Heck, it was probably the greatest game most people alive have ever seen.  Probably the greatest game in World Series history.

We thought it was over in the 7th.  The Texans were up 7-4, and we were deflated.  We were losing the series 3-2, and it seemed our season was over.  In the bottom of the 8th, we got one back. 

Twice, the cardinals were not only down to their last out, but their last strike.  Twice, they got a big hit to tie the game.

In the 9th, it was David Freese.  Two outs and two strikes.  One strike left in our season.  He hits a deep triple to right field to score Pujols and Berkman.  Amazing.  I was jumping so high, I almost hit the ceiling.  I may have woken up Peggy too.  Oops.

Then in the top of the 10th, Motte gave up a two run home run.  Seriously?  Yeah.  Seriously.  We had all the momentum, and completely lost it.

On to the bottom of the 10th.  We scored one to bring us within a run.  Jay was on 2nd with Pujols up.  They walked Pujols to get to Berkman (even though Pujols has had a mostly terrible series and Berkman has been amazing).  The crowd boo'd, but I was happy.  And then it happened.  Two outs, two strikes.  Again, one strike left in our season.  Berkman gets a hit to center field.  Tie ballgame.  Outrageous.

We needed a stop.  And in the top of the 11th, we got it.  No runs.

I was prepared to settle in for a late night.  David Freese was up again.  3-2 count.  Pitch down the middle and Freese blasts it to the grass area in deep center field.  He gets mobbed at the plate, and we win.  Wow.

This game was so full of emotion, it was ridiculous.  The Cards actually had a pretty terrible game to start.  Three (really bad) errors and lots of missed opportunities.  But, the ending was simply amazing.  I felt like I was bipolar.  One minute up the next minute down.

They were the first team in World Series history to score in the 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th.

No matter what happens tomorrow in game 7, this was simply amazing.

1 comment:

Linda and Matthew said...

Agreed! And to think, Matt went to bed in the ninth. Loser. :)