Thursday, October 27, 2011

SO Sweet!

While I was cooking dinner the other night, Abby was looking through the new toy catalog that came from Toy's R Us.  She pointed to nearly everything, saying "I want this....I want that....."  It was getting a bit ridiculous.  We're trying to raise Abby to value things.  We believe that more things doesn't equal happiness (one of the reasons we're so cheap....er, frugal!)  And we're starting to try to instill that in her.

So, I started talking to Abby about wants vs. needs.  We talked about how some kids don't get any toys for Christmas and that she's very lucky to have the toys she does.  She kept asking why, so I explained that some people don't have many toys or even have enough food to eat.  We've had many conversations with her about this before and had her participate in various food/charity drives with us.

That night we were headed to a fall festival at Fox.  Student Council was helping out with some of the games and things at the event.  The money raised was going to a local organization that helps homeless students.

We talked about the kids for quite a while, and Abby was concerned about them.  We talked about how the fall festival was raising money to help the kids get presents and food, and Abby said the following.....verbatim!

"But I have some money in my piggy bank we give them!"

Peggy and I just looked each other and were thinking the same thing.  We are lucky enough to be raising the sweetest girl in the world.  It was something about the way she said it.  Not just that she wanted to donate her money, but it seemed as though she actually understood about other kids that don't have the money. 

I told her that was very nice, and the kids would definitely appreciate her donation.

She replied: "I gonna give them LOTS of money!"

So after dinner, she raided her piggy bank.  She dug out a few pieces of change and we put it in a ziploc bag for her to take.

We got all ready and loaded up in the car (not an easy task when trying to get them in their costumes first), got halfway to Fox, and realized she had set her bag of money down to put on her shoes.  MAJOR.......PARENT.........FAIL.....argh.  We should've known she would set it down, but didn't ever think to ask.  Oh well, the idea was there, and we gave them some of our money instead.

No comments: