We've had a quiet healthy stretch at the Pleimann house for a few weeks now... until Monday. Noah woke up from his nap with a high fever 103! Yikes, fearing that he would have another seizure we started Tylenol right away and watched him like a hawk all night. He seemed better as the evening went on and went to bed easily without a temperature. Tuesday we debated sending him to school, see Dave had taken Friday off and had Monday off for President's Day so he really couldn't miss. I debated taking the day off but thought I'd go and work as much as I could before hand. Anyway Dave decided to send Noah to school but by noon just as this Mama was crawling into bed preschool called Noah had a fever. So I picked him up and we spent most of the afternoon snuggling like this.
By bedtime it was obvious Noah had some kind of crud. He wouldn't let me put him down and he was still running a fever. He slept off and on all night, waking up to cry every hour or so. I slept on the floor of his room. It was very uncomfortable and for a girl who had been up since 2am, it was rough.
I was able to get him an appointment with his pediatrician first thing this morning. Noah hates the pediatrician. I don't use that word lightly but after his multiple ear infections last year the boy has a slight aversion to the office. From the moment we were called back by the nurse he started crying and throwing a fit. So badly that I had to leave the hallway while two nurses corralled him on the scale. He screamed the minute the doctor came in the room, while she listened to his breathing, looked in his ears, and just tried to talk to him. It was miserable. And then she said those dreaded words.... breathing treatment. ugh.
The doctors appointment that was already not going well started going even worse. Since his doctor wanted to see how he would respond to the treatment we had to do the first treatment in the office. So off the doctor went to get the nurse. I tried to explain to my almost 2 year old that he was going to wear a mask like "Sissy" and he said "yes" meaning he knew what was going on. But little did I know the boy was about to beat the crap out of me. The nurse rolled in the oxygen tank, turned it on and handed over the mask. Noah started screaming. I had his arms down, but he kept throwing his head back and kicking the crap out of my legs. As he's throwing his head back the nurse reminded me he really needed to sit up, oh vey. Oh and the mask didn't go around his head at the office because that tends to freak out the kids. Umm yeah that would have really helped keep the mask on his face. Instead the nurse walked out and said she would be back in 6 minutes. 6 very long scream filled minutes. Abby decided to serenade Noah with a few little nursery rhythms that did little more than add more noise to the room. At least she tried. Finally the doctor came back in and listened to Noah's breathing again. He actually started slowing down on the crying for a few seconds. His breathing was a little better but not great. She said he was on the verge on pneumonia. So little man and Abby are now sharing a neubulizer. He did much better at home with the treatment. I'm not sure how the night time hours will go but so far so good. We have to continue treatments every 4 hours through the weekend. Thankfully the fever is gone and he has a big birthday to celebrate this weekend!


No comments:
Post a Comment