Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Feeding the Sting Rays!

Every time we go to the zoo, we try to get there right when they open.  The sting rays, carousel, and children's zoo are all free for the first hour.

A couple weeks ago, we went on a Friday.  We got there a bit later than we wanted, around 10 minutes after opening.  Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but the weather was beautiful and it was near the end of most school years.  It seemed every elementary and middle school was there.  It was crazy busy! 

We rushed to the back of the zoo.  Abby initially said she didn't want to do the sting rays.  However, when we walked by them to go to the carousel, she changed her mind.  I of course groaned because the line was already really long.  But we decided to wait.  And we're glad we did!

It was finally our turn and we headed in.  We've done this many times before, but Abby gets a bit more daring each time.  She used to be very skeptical, but now has no fears. 

I noticed that the sting rays were VERY active this time.  More so than I've ever seen them before.  Usually it's hard to reach them and you don't get to pet all that many.  Not this time!  We were petting a ton of them.  I figured it must have been close to feeding time.  So, I asked the worker and she said no. 

A few minutes later, we were getting ready to leave and they came over the loudspeaker to announce it was feeding time!  I was right!  And best of all, they allow the public to feed them!  Yahoo.  We've never even been in line before when it was feeding time, let alone get to do it ourselves. 

For a dollar, you get a little cup of food to feed them.  I got three cups. 

Showing Abby how to hold the fish.  She was a bit skeptical at first, but quickly wanted to try after she saw me do it.




The problem was that you have to hold it below where the sting ray swims in order for them to know it's there.  Abby couldn't get her hand deep enough for them to see it.  She did get one to eat from her hand though.  



Noah wanted to try too, but his arm wasn't nearly long enough for it to work.





No comments: