Monday, October 6, 2008

Three Labor and Delivery visits, and still no baby

All day yesterday, Peggy was having very strong contractions. Last night, just after we went to sleep, Peggy woke me up, saying that they were getting much more frequent. So, we started timing them. She had 4 in 10 minutes, but not consistent. Some were 45 seconds apart, others were 5 minutes apart.

We called the hospital, and they told her to take her anti-contraction medication early. That seemed to do the trick for the night.

But at work this morning, she continued having the contractions. She called her doctor when she got off of work, and they told her to go to the hospital.

So, today at work, I got "the call." The call that I've been dreaming of for a while. It was finally happening. We're all ready, or as ready as we'll ever be. Luckily one of my fellow science teachers has a student teacher. So, she was able to watch my students for me until my substitute arrived (thank you Kirsten!).

So I went home, and finished getting the things together for the hospital (the bags were almost totally packed already from previous visits). It just felt like the time. We even took some video before we left.

On the way to the hospital, I was very upbeat, but "fidgety" as Peggy said. I was just taking over the daddy role, and making sure my wife and baby were ok. But that required me going a "million miles an hour."

We checked in, per the normal routine. Almost as soon as we got there, they told us "we don't want this baby coming out yet." I just groaned (probably out loud). They hooked Peggy up to the monitors and checked everything out. She was not dilated AT ALL!

So they sent us home. They did increase the dosage on Peggy's prescription, but that's all they did for us.

Getting the medication was another whole story which I won't bore you with the details about. But, in summary, her vitamin price doubled, and we went to two pharmacies, both of which did not have her new anti-contraction medication....ugh.

Oh, did I mention that it's our anniversary?! Happy anniversary to us! It was such a crazy day that we didn't even get to eat dinner together on our anniversary (Peggy was sleeping).

So here we sit, waiting until next week when Peggy hopefully comes off of the anti-contraction medication.

Peggy, looking like she owns the place (we've been there so much, we just might by the time this is all said and done)


And me trying to get comfy on one of those impossible to get comfy couches (that's actually the name of the manufacterer, I checked)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, I think that couch is supposed to extend... it looks like the one at our hospital. Pull on the end and see.

Linda thinks you'll be waiting until Nov. 3.
I'm sticking with the Punkin' baby - Halloween!
Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I think (she) will make her appearance on Oct. 20. Hope you guys get some sleep before the big arrival.

Anonymous said...

Knowing how organized Peggy is, I think she will have it on the 15th (her day off). Happy anniversary to you two. I was going to call, but Colleen was keeping me updated, so I thought I shouldn't bother you. Hang in there!