Saturday, January 30, 2010

Doctor Update

As many of you know, we took Abby to a specialist on friday to see about her low blood sugar. It ended up being a super long (2 hour) frustrating experience.

Once we finally got to see the doctor, we were not all that impressed with her. Basically she told us that Abby's blood sugar is not low enough to be concerned (or to diagnose her with hypoglycemia, which is what Abby's pediatrican said). Abby's lowest blood sugar was a 62, but they won't diagnose hypoglycemia unless it's under 50.

We told the doctor about all of her other symptoms (the shaking, eating constantly, etc.), but she didn't really give us any answers for that. We felt as though everything we told her, she just sort of brushed it off. I guess we're so frustrated because we just have that "something's not right" feeling, but have now been basically told it's probably nothing at all.

Anyways, the next step is to take Abby to get blood drawn whenever she is having one of her shaking episodes. I can't imagine that's going to go very well, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. If it comes back low, then there are a bunch of other tests they will run. If it comes back normal, then it sounds like we'll just let her go and say there is nothing wrong.

4 comments:

Daniel and Heathr Hendrix said...

Peggy and David, I really think if you are not happy with this doctor, than you should find another one. Follow your gut and do as much research that you can. Talk to Abby's pediatrician and voice your concerns. If nothing else, you should express your feelings on her "brush off attitude". You are Abby's voice and you have to make sure she is heard. If you think there may be something more serious than keep pushing them.

Anna said...

What a total disappointment. Especially with how she called and made it sound like the sky was falling, and then to be like "oh no big thing"? That sucks - I would totally take Daniel and Heather up on their advice.

Bah, I love you anyhow.

Anna said...

Ha, that came out wrong. I love you guys. It sucks that you are all going through this. I don't know how that "anyhow" got in there. :)

simplicity said...

Can you get a second opinion?