Thursday, February 16, 2012

More Illness

It may be a mild winter across the country but it has been a rough season for illness. Between the constant runny noses, colds and ear infections we are patiently awaiting spring.
This week is no different but a little more serious.

On Monday when I took the kids to daycare, Noah's teacher told me there were 4 confirmed cases of RSV in the baby room. ugh. But if that wasn't bad enough there was also pneumonia, croup and strep throat circling around the older kids rooms. double ugh.

Now last Thursday and Friday both kids spiked low grade fevers that we treated with Tylenol and moved on. All weekend Abby and Noah were coughing and particularly Abby was rundown. We let her go to school Monday, she seemed fine. Tuesday, when I picked her up after her Valentine's Day she was sitting at the table with her head down. She had another fever. But by Tuesday night she was running around and playing with her brother see pictures below. Later that night she went to bed without any problems and was no longer running a fever. Well that didn't last long, by 11:45pm she was crying and telling me her ear hurt. So I gave her some Tylenol and some of Noah's ear numbing drops and crawled into bed with her. She was pretty upset and wasn't planning on going back to sleep anytime soon. I went back in and told Dave what was going on and he was so confused, he thought it was time to get up and was ready to call in sick to work. I told him to go back to sleep because it was only 12:30a. So Abby and I went downstairs and watched "Tangled". I kept trying to doze off but Abby made sure I stayed awake with her. After the movie, yes she was still awake, we went back upstairs and tried sleeping again but she wasn't having it. So by 3am she wanted Daddy and I needed a break so I brought Abby in our bed. Something that's only happened about 3 times in Abby's life. Dave tried to reason with her about sleep but she didn't feel good and just wanted to hang out. So we let her watch more tv, I know I can't believe we did it. But I was able to doze off and Dave and Abby were up for the day by 4:30am. I slept until my alarm went off at 5:25 and found both kids up and feed.

Abby was in bad shape so Dave took a sick day and I was able to take Noah to daycare and I went to work. Abby wasn't too happy that Daddy stayed home. She just wanted her Mommy. She called me a couple times while I was at work. The only downside to the day was the earliest the pediatrician could see her was 2:30p. So Dave let her watch lots of Disney movies and sleep. Finally at the pediatrician Abby was diagnosed with an ear infection and mild pneumonia. Yuck. So she's on some new drugs and yes we switched pharmacies and were able to get her meds in just 10 minutes!

After just too doses she's already a different kid and her cold is subsiding. We are going back to the pediatrician today for Noah's recheck of his ears. Just another day at the Pleimann's.

2 comments:

Linda and Matthew said...

Ugh! I feel you. I've used more sick time in the past month than I have in the last year combined! Between RSV with Audrey and Charlotte's fevers, our house has been like a sick ward. This, too, shall pass, right? Right?????

Nancy said...

I feel your pain. I've been there, done that. It is difficult to work and raise kids--but, Linda, you are right--thankfully, it will pass.

Peggy, let us know if you need us to keep the kids.