Around 7:30, the time came and Peggy actually got to walk into the OR. Certainly a much different experience than with the last baby! They make the dad sit outside of the OR while the mom gets prepped. The first nurse told me that she'd be back for me in 10 minutes. At least 10 minutes (probably more like 15) passed, and I was still all alone. Then another nurse walked by and told me 7 more minutes. Argh. I remember this same feeling when we were having Abby. It felt like FOREVER. I was left out there with thoughts of a healthy birth and if it was a boy or a girl. My mind was whirling. Finally, they called me in.
I sat up by Peggy's head, and couldn't see much. She looked SO much better than with the last baby. I guess 31 hours of labor will do that to a girl. She wasn't shaking and seemed in very good spirits. After 10 minutes of cutting, it was time to get the baby out.
He was apparently a bit large to get out easily. Which is incredible to me, because it was a C-section! How could a baby be too big to get out? Well, the doctor tried for a minute or two, but couldn't get the head out. So, she had to use suction. She attached that, and pulled what appeared to be pretty hard! So the head was out. We were so excited....it was almost time to find out the sex! It had been a long time coming, but at this point it made all the waiting completely worth it.
Then came the time for the rest of the body. I thought the hard part was over. Apparently I was wrong. The doctor grabbed the baby around the head and pulled.....HARD! I was getting worried that she was going to break him or her. She pulled for a good 20 seconds with no luck. Then the nurse took her fists and pushed really hard into the top of Peggy's abdomen while the doctor was pulling. Still no luck. I was starting to get worried at this point (of course I didn't tell Peggy that!) She had no idea how hard they were pulling or about the fists in the belly.
Then the doctor stuck her hand inside and hooked a couple of fingers under the baby's shoulder. This did the trick. With a bit more pulling and pushing, the baby was finally out. I of course wanted to know the sex right away and Peggy was asking, but the doctors arm was in the way (for what seemed like forever....in reality it was probably only 2-3 second). The moment of truth....it was a boy!
We were soooooo excited. We were both so happy, we shed a few tears.
His first picture:
It was then time for the scale. When we had Abby, Peggy predicted 9lbs 4oz. We all figured there was no way she could be right again. So, I asked her what she thought. 9lbs 11oz was her answer. And sure enough, we put the baby on the scale and 9lbs 11oz it was. We were all blown away that she guessed it correctly again.
Aunt Sallie brought Abby by for a visit. She was pretty cautious at first, but soon warmed up. She held baby booger, and did a might fine job! She was pretty wary of being around Peggy. I think she just didn't understand why mommy was laying down and had all sorts of wires around her.
Abby's first picture with Noah. So cute!
Also around this time his temperature started to drop a bit. He had just had a bath which made him a bit cold. They were worried that raising his temperature up would lower his blood sugar.
Then my parents came by for a visit:
Our first full family picture:
His blood sugar continued to stay at normal levels throughout the afternoon and evening. So, no more blood sugar tests! (as far as we know at this point). He has also been nursing very very well. We're quite excited about that.
He's mostly been sleeping throughout the day. We're thinking of trying to get some sleep in a bit. But, he just nursed for 30 minutes and is now wide awake! This could be a rough first night!
We are so lucky and happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment