Saturday, September 8, 2012

Abby's First Soccer Game

Abby started soccer two weeks ago.  She's had two practices thus far, both of which did not go very well....

Her first practice, she was wary because she didn't know anyone.  She was a bit scared of the coach too.  Practice was 1 hour long.  She cried on and off for the first 25 minutes.  She wouldn't kick the ball, listen to what her coach was asking her to do, etc.  But, after that, she started having fun and ended the practice great.  I was super proud of her.  She even went up to her coach to thank him after practice. 

I thought we had turned the corner, and the second practice would be better.  Unfortunately, it was worse.  Part of the problem probably was that I thought she wasn't going to cry at all, so we just kind of put her out there and let her go.  Apparently that wasn't the best idea.  She ended up crying on and off throughout most of the practice.

So I was a little worried about her first game on Saturday.  Neither of the two coaches were going to be there.  So, some of us adults offered to be out on the field during the game. 

We showed up to Fenton park, which was a madhouse...it amazes me how big that place is and how many kids are playing games there at any given time.  Abby got her uniform, and now proudly wears her number 1 on her back.

At the start of the game, our team had 5 parents on the field (most of the kids didn't want to be out there without their parent, Abby included).  You're only supposed to have two adults, although they didn't say anything.  I ended up being the "main" coach I suppose.  Most of the others just kind of walked around.  I tried my best to herd the kids and get them to move to the ball.  Let me tell ya, it's no easy task!

Abby's coaches really didn't get them set up to play in practice.  We didn't have a goalie, and they had never even played a practice game.  They just did drills.  So, I tried to explain to the 7 kids on the team how to play.  And I figured out a goalie and "trained" him.

Getting the kids on the line to start the game.

Picking up someone else's kid

 I ran a kid over once.  Oops.

Trying to score a goal.
The game went great.  There were a LOT of tears, but all of them from other kids.  A couple of the boys cried when they missed the ball.  A couple of the girls cried (some over and over and over) when they fell down.  But Abby never did!  I was so proud of her.  She wasn't the most aggressive player in the world, but she did touch the ball quite a few times and even dribbled it down the field once all on her own.

We ended up "winning" 6-1.  I say "winning" because they don't actually keep score.  They played four ten minute quarters.  For three year olds, that is a LONG time, especially when the game didn't end until 12:15.  By the 4th quarter, some of our team was playing with the grass, sitting, drinking water on the field, etc.  It was actually pretty amusing.  You could tell they were tired and had lost interest.

Overall, we had a great time.  Here's to hoping for no tears in her practice on Monday!

1 comment:

Colleen Bohlinger said...

Great photo of you and Abby! How fun for both of you : )