Abby did great at her soccer game again yesterday. It was her second game, and she decided she wanted to be goalie! I was a little worried because she is one of the smallest kids on the team. She's also pretty conservative. So we practiced her going to picking the ball up a lot when someone takes a shot. She was getting good at it, but I wasn't sure what would happen in a real game.
The 1st quarter, she played in the field. She isn't as fast as the other kids and a bit shy, so she doesn't touch the ball too much except on throw-in's and free kicks. But, she does chase the "heard" instead of staring into space like some of the other kids.
When her coach asked who wanted to be goalie, her hand immediately shot up. So she got to play the entire 2nd quarter in goal. And she did great! Whenever the ball came close, she ran up and picked it up. Usually she got it before the kid even had a chance to shoot. She didn't let up any goals and ended up with 4 or so saves! She was very proud of herself.
Like the first game, she was one of the only kids who didn't cry. One of the boys cried every time the goalie blocked his shots. He cried randomly because he hadn't scored a goal yet. Two different times after the goalie saved it, he went up to her, pointed his finger, and yelled "I don't like you!" He then threw himself on the ground and threw a fit.
Abby did cry a bit one time because a kid kind of tackled her from behind. But, she got up, dusted herself off, got a few words of encouragement from me, and ran on. I was super proud of her.
This game, I was able to keep my distance a bit more, and she did great, usually not even noticing I wasn't right next to her.
No comments:
Post a Comment